TITLE: Agriculture & Nutrition Specialist
LOCATION: Masvingo, ZIMBABWE
REPORTS TO: Country Program Manager
DURATION: One year, fixed-term (renewable)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 6 March 2020
HarvestPlus improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals, and providing global leadership on biofortification evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. HarvestPlus is based at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and collaborates with multiple CGIAR centers and partner organizations.
IFPRI, on behalf of HarvestPlus seeks to recruit a Nutrition & Agriculture Specialist to be part of the HarvestPlus team in Zimbabwe, responsible for coordinating the program’s agricultural development, nutrition behavior change, and crop value chain development activities in Gutu, Zaka, Bikita, Chipinge and Buhera.
Duties And Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
These will include and will not be limited to:
General project coordination
• Ensuring that the agriculture, nutrition and social behavior change activities of the program work together to produce desired project outcomes.
• Ensuring technical soundness for the program’s nutrition sensitive agricultural interventions.
• Working collaboratively with the Food Security Technical Coordinator to ensure that the program’s agriculture and nutrition activities are working well with other technical sectors within the program to create multiplier effects across and between sectors.
• Work collaboratively with monitoring, learning and evaluation teams to ensure that learnings are properly captured and utilized to inform improvement to program activities
• Work collaboratively with the Community Visioning (CV) Lead to ensure that the program’s activities are well adapted to and properly address the challenges articulated by participants in their journey to realize development aspirations.
• Plan and coordinate the production, procurement and distribution of vitamin A orange maize, iron beans, iron pearl millet and vitamin A sweet potatoes (biofortified crops).
• Coordinate farmer participatory evaluation trials / demo plots for biofortified crops
• Lead and coordinate the development of sustainable community seed multiplication and dissemination models for biofortified crops.
• Develop and coordinate nutrition behavior change communication strategies aimed at
o Increasing nutrition awareness and sensitivity among target households
o Increasing the production and consumption of biofortified crops within target communities.
o Increasing the uptake of community health services including immunizations, pre and post-natal care, growth monitoring, ART services etc
• Facilitate and coordinate nutrition education, and local food processing activities focusing on infant and young child feeding using locally available foods, including biofortified crops.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Country Manager
Qualifications And Experience
Required Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
• A Master’s degree in agriculture, nutrition, food security, International development, any other related fields.
• A minimum of (5) five years’ experience in coordinating programs that combine nutrition and agriculture.
• Experience in coordinating integrated, multi-sectoral programming will be an added advantage.
• Self-motivated, innovative and excellent interpersonal and team skills and the ability to work with colleagues from diverse cultures and disciplines.
• Strong interpersonal skills, and fluent in English, Shona/Ndebele.
• Strong English writing and verbal communication skills
• High level of computer literacy
• Clean class 4 driver’s license that is more than 5 years old.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time
How To Apply
How to apply:
1. Interested candidates to E-mail their cover letter and CV as one document to [email protected]
2. The E-mail should have ref: Agriculture and nutrition specialist on the subject line.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted!!!
Please note that final engagement of successful candidates will be subject to securing funding through a competitive bid.