Database Specialist handling capacity planning, evaluating database server hardware, and manage all aspects of database including installation, configuration, design, and data migration. Performance monitoring, security, backups, troubleshooting, and data recovery.
Duties And Responsibilities
• PLANNING FOR SYSTEM UPTIME
• Manage and maintain Oracle and SQL databases
• Designing database for High Availability
• Working on the performance issues related to Clustering, create logical diagrams to figure out the loop pools in the database designs and functionality.
• SQL tuning and optimization.
• TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS MONITORING
• Monitor the availability of the Database events like DB availability, Instance availability and the space availability of disk drives and file systems.
• Monitor the alert logs files, transaction logs and backup logs
• Resolves and escalates of any service disruption inline with the set standards
• Reviews and updates procedures and manuals in line with changes in business processes, requirements and Technology operating environment.
• Monitor the database related activities and respond calls from the Application support and developments teams.
• Monitor the backups, recovery errors, respond to the request regarding the restoration of the database.
• Reviews systems backup logs and checks compliance with data management and backup policy.
• Engages system vendors on Data support
• DISASTER RECOVERY AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
• Monitors and reviews back up and restoration operations for the disaster recovery site.
• Checks that System backups are done and secured properly daily.
• Participates in IT risk assessment, business continuity planning, testing and evaluation
• Participates in disaster recovery plan formulation
• Reviews weekly restorations of backed up systems and check that these have been filed.
• Participate in system recoveries and establish emergency operations at DR site in the event of a disaster
4 . STAFF SUPERVISION
• Agrees medium and short term objectives, develops a work plan, and checks that this is being carried out.
• Coaches and/or arranges for the training of staff in the understanding of Departmental procedures
• Meets and or discusses and agrees work schedules and targets with staff daily
• Carries out ongoing evaluation of staff, identifies performance strengths and deficiencies, and arranges for necessary action (for example further on the job training);
• Identifies disciplinary problems or issues of staff, and through the Core Systems & DevOps Manager, arranges for the necessary disciplinary action in line with Human Capital policies and procedures.
Qualifications And Experience
Qualifications and Work Experience
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
• First degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent
• Data Centre management certification,
• Experience in the Banking sector will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
• Outstanding people and business management skills.
• Highly Innovative
• Good Project management skills
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Strong relationships building and networking skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and strong adherence to deadlines and targets.
• Good problem-solving skills, expressing the ability to question, listen and understand the customer and business environment.
• Up -to -date with the current (and future) levels of IT
How To Apply
Interested applicants who meet the job requirements should e-mail their CVs to [email protected] with the Heading: “ Database Specialist” APPOINTMENTS WILL BE MADE IN COMPLIANCE WITH BancABC’s RECRUITMENT POLICY. Closing date: 31 October 2020 @ 1630hrs.