Job Title GIS Officer
Organizational Unit / Duty Station Zimbabwe Red Cross Society – Head Office
Immediate Supervisor’s Title Director of Programmes
Technical Officer’s Title Data Officer
As a member of the ZRCS Data Team, The GIS Officer position will be based at Head Office and will provide overall guidance and support on data collection, Mapping, analysis, modelling and support to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities of ZRCS projects. The GIS officer will have experience with mapping of geographical, hydrological and meteorological data.
The GIS Officer’s main responsibilities will be:
1. Working with the Data Officer the GIS officer will oversee the collection and analysis of GIS and mapping data generated by ZRCS programming, ensuring that appropriate GIS data collection and analysis methods are utilised at both field and HQ level. The GIS officer will be responsible for the mapping of data into hazard, risk and impact maps.
2. Work closely with the Forecast Based Actions programme team, GoZ and NGO stakeholders to collect and analyse data to develop and maintain a functional Forecast Based Action Mechanism.
3. Oversee the development and management of a ZRCS data and file sharing platform ensuring that collected data and standardised tools are appropriately housed and available.
Duties And Responsibilities
Job duties and responsibilities
The GIS Officer is responsible for:
A. Data Collection and Mapping
Collecting and analyzing GIS data sets (population, resources, evacuation routes and sites, distribution points, vegetation indices, soil types, agro-eco and livelihood zones, hydrology, etc.);
Support field-based data collection to inform “missing maps” mapathons for detailed mapping activities during digital VCA’s and impact analysis.
Conducting specific assessment/risk maps using remote sensing images from satellites and drones;
Support information needs of contingency plans supporting disaster preparedness and response and translate these into data analysis and information products.
B. Support development and monitoring of Forecast Based Action Mechanism
Collaborate with the Red Cross Climate Centre and 510 Data Group to develop a Forecast Mechanism which integrates both community and national level data and identify triggers
With the support of the 510 data team develop a district level INFORM map based on available
Conduct field-based data collection to support community hazard, risk and digital vulnerability capacity assessments
Conduct on going hazard monitoring linked to forecasts and triggers and support the dissemination of alerts
Liaise with GoZ and NGO stakeholders to ensure the continual collection and analysis of FBA data
C. Monitoring, strengthening monitoring systems
• Work with the Programme Manager/Project Officers to review monitoring systems and identify gaps in the quality timeliness and use of data
• Develop an approach to strengthen the use of monitoring systems with emphasis on mobile data collection.
• Undertake regular capacity building (with support from the regional data support systems as required) for NS staff to facilitate their abilities to independently undertake monitoring of their programs, projects and processes
• Ensure the provision and utilization of monitoring data for decision making by NS ensuring coherence with NS systems for data collection and aggregation.
• Work closely with the Managers, to identify existing monitoring and review mechanisms in the Operation Plan of Action to ensure that reports incorporate accurate and relevant information.
D. Facilitate Evaluation, Research Activities and Manage data
• Provide technical inputs in the design and carrying out of assessments, evaluation and reviews
• Assist in the setting up and management of databases using user friendly database software (Excel, SPSS, STATA, Epi Info etc).
• Assist with the set-up of tracking tools on the status of reports to ensure timeliness and quality of reports
• Provide technical inputs to internal evaluations and support the use of evaluation results within the National Society.
D. Others Duties and Tasks
1. Actively work towards the achievement of the National Society Strategic Goals.
2. Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental principles
3. Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications And Experience
1. A University degree in GIS or other data analysis related studies
2. Track record showing the capacity to use data to improve processes, operations and decision-making.
3. Professional qualification in M&E
1. At least 3 years of professional experience in data analysis
2. Demonstrable interest in humanitarian aid
3. Research skills, to determine the effectiveness of the products and services provided by the team
4. Skilled in data analysis software / languages such as R and/or Python
5. Proficiency in designing monitoring tools for process, output and outcome monitoring
6. Experience in training enumerators in data collection, cleaning, analysis, utilization and reporting skills
7. Experience in developing M&E frameworks and providing trainings on the development and use of M&E frameworks
8. Experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans
1. Self-starter with strong interpersonal skills working in a multicultural team
2. Strong time management and personal organization skills and result oriented
3. Good capacity strengthening, analytical, and report writing skills
4. Skilled in use of data analysis packages (Excel, ODK, SPSS, EPI Info, STATA, etc.)
5. Good data collection and analytical skills to provide relevant evidence for decision making
6. Skills in training and developing NS staff and volunteers’ capacity
7. Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
8. Strong listening and feedback skills
9. Being able to communicate clearly and concisely (written and verbally)
10. Being trustworthy.
How To Apply
Send CVs and Cover letters to [email protected]