A new project under the AP Portfolio, the Park Manager will be responsible for setting up many aspects of the operating business, and then running it. Reporting to the AP Regional Manager and the Matusadona Conservation Trust Board, the primary purpose of the role will be to:
• Develop and implement an integrated strategy for the park’s sustainable development;
• Ensure the effective operational management of the park;
• Recruitment of the entire management and technical team and then providing strong leadership to them;
• Represent and promote African Parks and Matusadona National Park with all stakeholders;
Duties And Responsibilities
• Develop and execute a park strategy in accordance with the Partnership Agreement
(mandate) with the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and African Parks Network (APN) objectives;
• Develop and maintain positive community, government (national & local), donor, and other stakeholder relations;
• Manage and take responsibility of the Park Management Unit;
• Ensure financial management processes and fiscal discipline rigorously applied;
• Drive revenue generation through development of sustainable marketing and tourism and other commercial revenue streams;
• Ensure the park is adequately resourced (financial, people, equipment, etc) to effectively meet its day-to-day operational requirements;
• Provide career management to contracted staff as well as the daily organization of their work, holidays and evaluation of their performance;
• Implement the annual work plan, annual budgets and five-year Business Plan as approved by the Board of Trustees.
• Promote the development and recruitment of local nationals into the park in accordance with the Partnership Agreement and the needs of the park;
• Build a constituency for conservation;
• Build a strong values based team culture in the park;
• Provide accurate and meaningful reports to the park Board, APN and other stakeholders as required.
Qualifications And Experience
• 10-15 years’ working experience; preference will be given to candidates who have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Conservation or related field;
• 5 years’ experience working in a Senior Position within Protected Area Management;
• Demonstrable ability to start/build a conservation Project, including methodology/strategy, staff recruitment and mentoring, logistic & infrastructure development;
• Knowledge and experience working in a rural, remote and multi-cultural environment;
• Fluent in English, written and spoken with strong report writing skills;
• Strong commercial skills with a view of growing the Matusadona NP Tourism potential – both at local national and international level;
• Strong financial management skills with a proven track record in managing budgets;
• Project Management skills that are relevant to remote and rural environments with multiple stakeholders and a Government Partner (Parks and Wildlife Management Authority);
• Analytical skills;
• A strong stakeholder relationship management skillset – both in the government and private sector;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to lead and supervise teams in the field;
• Results oriented;
• Highly resilient;
• Adaptable in both professional work environment and personal living conditions.
• Experience in non-profit and or parastatal organizations an advantage;
• Fluency in local languages an added advantage.
How To Apply
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] by 20th April 2020.
Should you not hear back from us within 2 weeks after closing date, please take it that your application was unsuccessful.